Vacancy: Assistant Professor Entrepreneurship & Innovation
You as candidate are invited to apply for participating in the Innovation, Technology Entrepreneurship & Marketing (ITEM) group’s research, educational and valorization program focusing on understanding and improving the new product and business development processes of new ventures as well as established firms in a high-tech context. The ITEM group is part of the School of Industrial Engineering in the department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences. The position involves a balanced teaching and research load. The appointment involves a five-year tenure-track position as an assistant professor.
A successful candidate combines an industrial engineering and management perspective in conducting top-level academic research with a focus on new business and product development processes. You publish your research in high-quality scholarly journals and, as such, contribute to the School of Industrial Engineering’s research on the optimization of complex processes, systems and organizations in high-tech industries. Possible focal research topics include, but are not limited to technology commercialization and new venturing, managing alliances and ecosystems as part of (open) innovation, business model innovation, and decision making in new product development. You will also teach courses on entrepreneurship and innovation at the Bachelor and/or Master level, and be involved in supervision tasks (at the PhD, MSc, and BSc level). In addition, you are required to acquire external research funding from industry in our high-tech region or from organizations like NWO, and be active and visible in international academic networks.
The School of Industrial Engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology is one of the longest-established engineering schools in Europe, with a strong presence in the international research and education community, especially in the field of Innovation Management & Technology Entrepreneurship, which are at the core of the undergraduate BSc program. The undergraduate (bachelor) program in industrial engineering and graduate program (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) in Innovation Management attract top-level students from all over the world.
The ITEM group is part of the School of Industrial Engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology. The group consists of about 26 fte faculty and 22 fte PhD’s. The group’s research, educational and valorization program focuses on new business and product development processes in all different organizations with a specific emphasis on high-tech products. This focus is unique in the sense that it covers the entire cycle of development efforts, from the very front end of new business and product conception to start-up and commercialization respectively. Moreover, it combines an industrial engineering and management perspective to capture the complexity and multidisciplinary nature of new business and product development, and deliberately exploits the various competences and forms of expertise at the interface with related engineering disciplines to help businesses improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their innovation efforts. Through this focus the ITEM group is, as such, not just able to conduct good disciplinary work, but also to connect to the cross-disciplinary research themes of Logistics and Interface, Humans and Technology, Sustainability and Value of Big Data of the department and the strategic areas of Energy and Health at the university level.
A successful candidate:
- Has a Master degree in Industrial Engineering (or a similar field of study) and a relevant PhD degree in innovation or entrepreneurship (or vice versa).
- Has a drive to conduct excellent research and engage in top-level teaching.
- Has already published in leading academic journals in Industrial Engineering, Business and/or Management.
- Has relevant teaching experience at the Bachelor and/or Master level and is willing to obtain the University Teaching Qualification.
- Has expertise in qualitative and/or quantitative research methods and techniques to study entrepreneurial and innovation phenomena.
- Is able and willing to work in a multidisciplinary context within a technical university.
Furthermore a successful candidate:
- Is a team player.
- Is prepared to play an active citizenship role within the ITEM group and the department.
- Is fluent in English and preferably also in Dutch.
- Is able to join the ITEM group in the fall of 2018 at the latest.
Conditions of employment
We offer you:
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university.
- An employment of 1.0 fte as an Assistant Professor for a period of 5 years with possible tenure. For an outstanding candidate a development track towards Associate Professor is possible.
- A gross salary in the range of € 3.475,- to € 5.405,- per month (on a full-time basis), based on your background and working experience.
- A yearly holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary.
- A yearly end year allowance of 8.3% of the yearly salary.
- Enrolment into a program to acquire an official teaching certification from Dutch Universities (Basic Qualification Teaching).
- A 40 hour working week and 41 holiday days and highly appreciated flexibility.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes, child care and excellent sports facilities).
Furthermore, if you are not a Dutch citizen, you may be eligible for the 30 percent reimbursement rule, which is a tax advantage for foreign employees working in the Netherlands. The tax free allowance is considered a compensation for the expenses that a foreign employee has by working outside his or her home country. More information on this website.
Eindhoven University of Technology is an equal-opportunity employer and has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Information and application
Interested candidates are invited to send a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, two recommendation letters, a statement on teaching goals and experience, and sample copies of their research (published or accepted papers only) to us by using the 'apply now' button on this webpage, before June 1st, 2018.
To apply please use the “apply now” button. Please note that a maximum of 5 documents can be uploaded, so if you have more than 5 documents you will have to combine them. Please do not send us applications by e-mail.
For inquiries about the position